ORGANISATION/COMPANYLiving, Adaptive and Energy-autonomous Materials Systems (livMatS)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Freiburg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK26
The Cluster of Excellence Living, Adaptive and Energy-autonomous Materials Systems (livMatS) is offering a
Doctoral Position in the area of Triboelectricity
Part-time position (65 %), Start-date: 15.07.2019
The Cluster of Excellence livMatS develops completely novel, bioinspired materials systems that adapt autonomously to various environments and harvest clean energy from their surroundings. The intention of these purely technical – yet in a behavioral sense quasi-living – materials systems is to meet the demands of humans with regard to pioneering environmental and energy technologies. The societal relevance of autonomous systems and their sustainability will thus play an important role in their development. The research program of livMatS is characterized by highly interdisciplinary collaboration between researchers from a broad range of fields including engineering, chemistry, physics, biology, psychology, the humanities, and sustainability sciences.
Triboelectric effects in functional material systems enable the implementation of novel design concepts for energy harvesting. The corresponding project “TriboGen” will perform basic research on the design of triboelectric generators and the triboelectric effect as such, to answer the following questions:
- What is the best combination of triboelectric materials?
- What is the influence of chemical or physical surface modifications on the triboelectric effect?
- How can the triboelectric effect be characterized best?
- How to design an optimal resonant tribogenerator?
- How to build a frequency-self-tunable resonant tribogenerator?
- How to do an optimal charge extraction from tribogenerators?
The candidate will mostly focus on the design and fabrication of triboelectric generators and on test set-ups for characterizing triboelectric materials. The other questions above are addressed together with her/him in the team of scientists working in the project on modeling and characterization of triboelectric materials.
Applicants should have a diploma or Master's degree in physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, microsystems technology or similar. Furthermore, eagerness to acquire personal skills and further knowledge are mandatory as well as good self-organization and ability to work independently, although under supervision.
The position is currently limited to 65%, with an option for an additional 35% within the group of Prof. Dr. Peter Woias.
Please hand in:
- Letter of intent detailing why you are interested in this specific project and how your previous research qualifies you for the project (up to 1,500 words)
- Curriculum Vitae with list of publications (if applicable)
- Certified copies of your university degree(s) with grades (Bachelor and Master certificate / Diploma certificate and transcript)
- Short summary of your Master’s thesis (up to 1,000 words)
- Work sample (chapter from recent thesis or journal article, up to 5,000 words)
- Suggestion of two referees with contact details
Your documents will not be returned after the application process. For this reason, please submit copies only.
This position is limited to 36 months. The salary will be determined in accordance with TV-L E 13.
We are particularly pleased to receive applications from women for the position advertised here.
Please send in your application including all the relevant supporting documents mentioned above and citing the reference number 00000508, by 31.05.2019 at the latest. Please send your application to the following address in written or electronic form:
Dr. Monika Schulz
Cluster of Excellence Living, Adaptive and Energy-autonomous Materials Systems (livMatS)
E-Mail (one single pdf file):
For further information, please contact Prof.Dr. Peter Woias on the phone number +49 761 203-7490 or E-Mail email@example.com.
EURAXESS offer ID: 399953
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.