ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Twente (UT)
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE02/10/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Enschede
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
The Natural Resources department (NRS) of ITC works in the domains of Agriculture and Environment with a focus on food security, biodiversity and ecosystems (forests, wetlands, drylands). The department uses earth observation data and spatial information in combination with systems modelling, geographical information systems (GIS) and remote sensing for the assessment, monitoring, planning and management of natural resources, for their sustainable use, development and restoration under global change.
Combining remote sensing with in-situ data is an important approach to fill gaps in environmental and biodiversity monitoring. A complementary issue is how to handle the large volumes of satellite imagery as well as in situ data, which require processing in the cloud, in order to report on the state of Essential Biodiversity Variables (EBVs) and their dynamics. You will focus on developing spatial and temporal models for Species Populations, Species Traits, Ecosystem Structure and Ecosystem Function, using remote sensing. A focus of this position will be on how EBVs can be made available and visible in the web through portals, and how to generate more complex variables, such as reporting on the state of the global forests, savannas, grasslands and wetlands. The development of ecological models will include dynamic modelling. You will contribute to developing research and education with a special technical orientation towards cloud computing as well as open source GIS applications.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for two years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3637,- and € 4978,- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Assistant Professor level 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave.
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment.
Web site for additional job details
- You possess a minimum of an MSc degree in GIS and Remote Sensing or a related natural resource/biology/geography major, with strong computer science capabilities, and a PhD in Spatial Ecology or a related topic.
- You should have two years of practical or research experience (i.e., post-doc) since your PhD graduation.
- You should be competent in open source programming languages, such as R or Python, (open source) GIS and remote sensing applications and cloud computing platforms:
- You have broad knowledge of the domains of the department.
- You have an aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level.
- You have an affinity with a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment.
- You have a willingness to contribute to international projects.
- You will have an excellent command of English. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch, is an advantage.
Please submit your application through the form before 1 October 2019 (choose “apply now” below). Your application must include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and outlining your research and teaching interests and (ii) a detailed CV with references.
EURAXESS offer ID: 445058
Posting organisation offer ID: 285736
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.