ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDGeosciences › Geology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/01/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
There is a vacancy for a 3 year PhD position in geomicrobiology at the Department of Earth Science, funded by
The Research Council of Norway and associated with the K.G. Jebsen Centre for Deep-Sea Research. The position is linked to the project EnterDeep and is tightly associated with the ICDP SUSTAIN drilling campaign into Surtsey Volcano, Iceland .
About the project/work tasks
The environmental significance of microbial activity in the oceanic crust is almost unexplored. However, the existence of a deep biosphere and their potential to gain energy by exploiting redox reactions in this environment is undisputed.
The EnterDeep project aims to investigate the role of microbial processes in alteration of newly formed oceanic basalts, with a focus on quantifying the environmental impact of microbial activity in this habitat.
The project is highly interdisciplinary, applying microbiological and geochemical approaches. The candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary research group and will collaborate with microbiologists, geochemists, and geologists. In particular the candidate will be working closely with a postdoc in geochemistry, affiliated with the same project.
The project combines in-situ microbial colonisation experiments with ex-situ laboratory experiments in order to investigate the coupling of microbial activity and population dynamics with reaction rates of redox-reactions. The work tasks will primarily be linked to obtaining and analysing molecular data and link this to measured and modelled geochemical data.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally stimulating working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 54 (code 1017/pay range 20, alternative 10) in the state salary scale, currently NOK 479 600 gross p.a. Further increases in salary are made according to qualifications and length of service in the position
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two referees. One of these can be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis.
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, or official confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references
- approved documentation of proficiency in English (if required, cf. English language requirements for PhD admission)
- A list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Any publications in your name.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELGeosciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a master's degree or the equivalent in microbiology, geochemistry, or other relevant topics, or must have submitted his/her master's thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- Experience in laboratory work and with analytical techniques such as: DNA extraction, PCR, FISH and electron microscopy is an advantage.
- Previous experience with low biomass environments, geomicrobiology, reaction rate calculations and microbial community dynamics will be considered an advantage.
- Previous experience with molecular data handling, including shot-gun metagenomic assembly and annotation will also be considered an advantage.
- Applicants need to demonstrate an ability to work independently and in a structured manner, and show commitment to cross-disciplinary collaboration.
- Excellent English written and oral communications skills are required.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
EURAXESS offer ID: 472365
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.