ORGANISATION/COMPANYBARCELONA SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science › Earth science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/04/2020 21:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
- The successful applicant will join the BSC-ES to perform basic scientific and technical assessment of datasets served by the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S). The primary focus will be on the assessment of well-established networks of observations (e.g. radio-soundings for temperature and wind profiles) using the methodologies and workflows defined in the C3S_512 contract. The incumbent will also assess reanalysis and seasonal forecast datasets. Moreover, the candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to the improvement of the assessment workflows and methodologies that ensure that the highest quality is held in the most important climate data repository in Europe.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Earth Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - One year renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- MSc in physical sciences, applied mathematics, environmental engineering, or a related discipline. A PhD (or equivalent in terms of experience) is considered useful but it is not strictly required.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- At least 1 year of experience in quantitative analysis of atmospheric and/or ocean climate data
- Knowledge of data documentation and validation
- Experience in handling and interpreting scientific data
- Experience with UNIX/LINUX environments and scripting languages
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Participation in research or operational climate data handling projects
- Experience in data quality control methodologies
- Capacity to interact and build strong relations with both climate and computer scientists
- Written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to take initiatives, prioritize the tasks and work under set deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
EURAXESS offer ID: 508484
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.