ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDEconomics › Health economicsEthics in health sciencesMedical sciences › MedicinePhilosophy › EpistemologyPhilosophy › EthicsPhilosophy › Philosophy of science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/05/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Global Public Health and Primary Care, Bergen Centre for Ethics and Priority Setting (BCEPS), a full-time temporary PhD-position (100 %) is available for a period of three (3) years starting 1 September 2020. The position is part of the project «Severity and Priority Setting in Health Care (SEVPRI)», funded by the Norwegian Research Council (externally funded).
BCEPS at the University of Bergen is a leading research community within priority setting in health care. The environment is multidisciplinary with high activity, and the research at this centre has both qualitative focus and quantitative. BCEPS collaborates with leading environments at other universities at Oxford, Harvard, and Addis Ababa (Ethiopia). BCEPS has a goal of internationalization and encourages all PhD students to spend time at foreign universities.
About the project/work tasks:
This position will be linked to the sub-project «Fair Distribution of Health», which, by means of qualitative and quantitative methods, will study perceptions in the population about what distributional care has to say for health priorities. This PhD-candidate will have the opportunity to work on related issues within health priorities, and the choice of method will be made in collaboration with the candidate and the host, and will be adapted to the candidate's professional and experience background. In the overall project SEVPRI, two PhD candidates, and one postdoctoral fellow will be appointed, which together will form a professional environment. The second PhD candidate will be at HØKH (The Health Services Unit), Akershus University Hospital (Ahus), and work on the sub-project «Subjective Accounts of Severity», and the postdoctoral researcher will work on the sub-project «Ethical and Economical Accounts of Severity» (HØKH).
- Participate in the practical planning and implementation of the sub-project together with the project partners and supervisors.
- Relate data from the other sub-projects to ethical principles for health priorities and publish scientific articles to be included in the PhD-dissertation.
- Participation and presentation of results at national and international scientific conferences and contribute to the dissemination of results in relevant arenas in collaboration with user representatives.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a master`s degree or equivalent in philosophy, medicine, and /or economics. Applicants from another relevant subject area may also be applicable.
- experience from relevant research projects will be considered as positive
- The candidate should be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others
- The applicant must be fluent in oral and written English, ref. language qualifications.
- Applicants with competence in ethics / philosophy, health economics and health prioritization work, will have an advantage.
Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education (bachelor and master degree) in question is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see https://www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. The review from NOKUT may take some time and the application should be sent to NOKUT as soon as you have decided to apply for the position. If no answer within the application deadline, you may enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application.
Language qualifications: http://www.uib.no/en/med/115526/english-language-requirements-phd-admission
About the PhD position (applies to university PhD positions):
Organized research training (PhD program):
The candidate must take part in the University of Bergen approved PhD programme leading to the degree within a time limit of 3 years. You must have admission to the organized research training (PhD program) at the Faculty in order to qualify for the position. Application for admission to the PhD programme, including a project plan outline for the training plan must be submitted no later than three months after the date of commencement.
PhD-positions are fixed term positions. You cannot be employed in a PhD-position for more than one fixed term period at the same institution or have had similar employment at an institution in the region.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary at pay grade 54 (code 1017/pay framework 20.10) NOK 479 600 before taxes, in the state scale. Further increases in salary will be based on seniority in the position. For applicants with at least one year of employment in a position as a General Practitioner or Dentist, salary level 56 (NOK 496 100). Medical specialist start on wage level 59 (NOK 523 200)
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- certified copies of diplomas and transcripts of grades. Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT (both bachelor and master degree) whether the education in question is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. This may take some time and we recommend you to apply as soon as you know you will apply for this position. If no answer within the application deadline, please enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application
- documentation of language skills (English) http://www.uib.no/en/med/115526/english-language-requirements-phd-admission
- complete list of publications and scientific work you want to be evaluated
- any publication in your name
- two referees (name and contact information)
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
Life as a PhD candidate at UiB
Marion Claireaux tells about life and work as a PhD candidate at UiB.
About The University of Bergen
The University of Bergen (UiB) is an internationally recognised research university with more than 14,000 students and close to 3,500 employees at six faculties. The university is located in the heart of Bergen.
Our main contribution to society is excellent basic research and education across a wide range of disciplines.
EURAXESS offer ID: 508684
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.