ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Antwerp
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › OtherMedical sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/11/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Antwerpen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
Departement : Instituut voor Globale Gezondheid
Regime : Voltijds
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (University of Antwerp) is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Family and Population Health for a
PhD student in the area of microbiological laboratory methods for whole genome sequencing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis directly from sputum.
You will be employed by the University of Antwerp in Belgium and will work at the UA and at the Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) Antwerp.
You will work under the supervision of Prof. Annelies Van Rie in the TORCH (Tuberculosis Omics ResearCH) consortium (https://torch-consortium.com). This consortium is a close collaboration between the University of Antwerp (Prof Van Rie) and Stellenbosch University in South Africa (Prof. Rob Warren). At ITM, you will work under the supervision of Prof. Bouke De Jong.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis.
- You will fully dedicate your research to the field of whole genome sequencing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis directly from sputum.
- This project will focus on optimizing the decontamination, lysis, mycobacterial enrichment, and DNA extraction steps.
- Your main tasks will be designing and performing the laboratory experiments related to performing WGS directly from sputum. You will work in close collaboration with other team members, coordinate the activities at the different laboratories and groups (University of Antwerp, ITM, Stellenbosch University), coordinate the data management and data analysis, and initiate the dissemination of results of research projects.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will perform some service tasks, both internally at the department and externally.
- Your appointment will be the University of Antwerp, and part of the work will be done at the Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a masters (MSc) degree in molecular biology or another relevant field.
- If you have already obtained a PhD, you can apply for a postdoc position within our group to work on this project.
- You have a minimum of 1 year hands-on relevant microbiology laboratory experience. Experience with DNA extraction and whole genome sequencing would be an advantage.
- Experience working with M. tuberculosis or other infectious pathogen is preferred but not a strict requirement.
- Applicants from Africa and the EU are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You have strong communication skills.
- You are fluent in academic English (speaking and writing).
What we offer
- A doctoral scholarship for a period of three years.
- An appointment that will start earliest on 1 Dec 2020 and latest on 1 Feb 2021.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment at University of Antwerp Campus Drie Eiken and the Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
How to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 15 Nov 2020 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, a copy of your academic CV.
- A pre-selection will be made from the submitted applications. The (online) interviews of selected candidates will take place in the second half of November 2020.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Van Rie (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
EURAXESS offer ID: 570913
Posting organisation offer ID: 149788
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.