RESEARCH FIELDSociology › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Leuven
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK38
We are looking for a social scientist / social data scientist (or related discipline) with a strong interest in innovative quantitative data-analysis to answer social scientific research questions in the field of public opinion. The candidate is expected to write a PhD thesis in the field of Social Data Science, in which theoretical knowledge, different sources of (big) data and advanced statistical techniques are combined. A possible track would be to enrich (existing) survey data with new data sources (such as administrative data, social media data or geodata) to gain new insights in order to answer existing and new research questions. The topic of the study is to be discussed, but should fit within the research tradition of ISPO. The researcher will team up with a large research group consisting of several PhD students, postdoctoral fellows and supervisors, working on related projects. In addition, the researcher will be involved in existing national and international research networks in the field of survey innovation and social data science. The PhD candidate will be stimulated to present research output at international conferences and participate in seminars and (methodological) training activities. An international fellowship and participation in teaching activities are among the possibilities.
- A full-time position for a PhD fellow for 1 year, which is extended to a total of 4 years upon positive evaluation;
- An inspiring and challenging international and academic environment at a leading European research university;
- The intended start date is September 2021, but the start date is flexible to some extent after consultation with the supervisor.
- You have a master's degree in a relevant social science discipline (sociology, political science, social science, social psychology…) and/or a master’s degree in (social) statistics and/or (social) data science;
- You can present excellent study results, whereby you have at least completed your academic study with distinction;
- You have an interest in research methods and techniques, whereby knowledge of quantitative research methods is a must;
- You are willing to actively train yourself in the field of social data science;
- You can work in a team;
- You are willing to temporarily work and/or study abroad;
- You have excellent knowledge of the English language;
- You are quality-oriented, accurate, honest, creative, collaborative and you can work efficiently;
- You have an analytical mind, excellent communication skills and a good pen;
- You take initiative to develop your own research project autonomously and complete it in time.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Cecil Meeusen, tel.: +32 16 32 32 58, mail: email@example.com.
We ask for a CV and a motivation letter tailored to the content of the project. The interviews will take place in the beginning of June.
You can apply for this job no later than 31/05/2021 via the online application tool
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 636439
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.