ORGANISATION NAMEInstitut Fresnel
RESEARCH FIELDFormal sciences
CAREER STAGEFirst Stage Researcher (R1) (Up to the point of PhD)
We are pleased to invite applications for a PhD position in the new four-year EU-funded Marie Sklodowska- Curie ITN programme “INSPIRE - INNOVATIVE GROUND INTERFACE CONCEPTS FOR STRUCTURE PROTECTION”.
The goal of ITN INSPIRE is to foster a new generation of highly qualified researchers and engineers able to implement novel soil-foundation-structure concepts for the efficient protection of structures from all ground induced hazards, including earthquakes and all other sources of low-frequency noise and vibration excitations.
INSPIRE relies on recent innovative scientific and technological concepts, mainly developed within the broad concept of meta-materials – natural or artificial materials or structures which exhibit extraordinary properties for inhibiting or conditioning wave propagation in all spatial directions over broad frequency bands. General developments of meta-materials will be combined or enriched with novel absorption and isolation concepts (i.e negative effective mass and stiffness moduli media, novel friction vibro-impact rocking motion based non-linear mechanisms) with the goal to overcome the limitations of the existing seismic and low-frequency isolation technologies and deliver highly-damped, low maintenance and easily implemented designs.
This network is led by National Technical University of Athens and consists of 7 European universities (Univ. of Trento, ETH, Univ. of Lille, Technical University of Keiserslauten, Univ. of Mons, Univ of Bologna) 1 Research Institute (Institut Fresnel of the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique) as well as 5 industrial partners (RINAC, FIP, ADT, IGF, GRSc).
NATIONAL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS (http://www.mech.ntua.gr/gr/antoniadis, coordinator)
- UNIVERSITY OF TRENTO (http://www.ing.unitn.it/~bigoni/),
- EIDGENOESSISCHE TECHNISCHE HOCHSCHULE ZUERICH
- CENTRE NATIONAL DE LA RECHERCHE SCIENTIFIQUE
- UNIVERSITE DE LILLE (https://physique.iemn.fr/467-2/membres/yan-pennec/),
- TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF KAISERSLAUTERN
- UNIVERSITY OF BOLOGNA (https://www.unibo.it/sitoweb/alessandro.marzani/en),
- UNIVERSITY OF MONS (http://hosting.umons.ac.be/html/mecara/~georges/georges.htm),
- RINAC CONSULTING S.P.A.,
- FIP MEC,
- ADT-OMEGA CONSULTING ENGINEERS S.A,
- INGENIEURGESELLSCHAFT DR.-ING. FISCHBACH MBH,
- GROUP SCIENCE,
Objectives of ESR04 (Institut Fresnel):
1) Design a seismic wave cloaking approach using conformal and non-euclidean elastodynamic tools, able to be implemented in practice with appropriate columns distributed in a soft soil (see figure for preliminary results).
2) Verify the results with Time-domain numerical simulations using a finite-difference-time-domain (FDTD) software and frequency-domain simulations with a finite element software to geometries surrounding the buildings, as well as to geometrical constraints of the surrounding soil terrains.
Expected Results of ESR04:
1) A new concept of a cloak/waveguide
2) New numerical tools for non-linear transformation elasto-dynamics, taking into account arbitrary soil geometries.
What is funded
The post holder will be employed by the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) on a fixed term (36-month) contract, he/she will work 37 hours per week at Institut Fresnel (https://www.fresnel.fr/spip/) and will be enrolled as a PhD student at the doctoral school ED352 Physique et sciences de la matière of the University of Aix-Marseille (https://ecole-doctorale-352.univ-amu.fr/en).
A PhD student is typically registered for a period of 3 years in a doctoral school in France. In some specific cases, a doctoral school can grant an extension of 1 year (additional year not funded by ITN INSPIRE).
The candidate will be expected to spend 3 Months at TREVI on geotechnical engineering, 2 months at JRC on seismic protection and 1 Month at UNITN on modelling of elastic media as part of secondment contracts.
The candidate should be a European citizen and should hold a Master degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering delivered by a European University (not a French University) at the time of his/her application. He/she should be fluent in English and good skills in programming (matlab/python) and knowledge of a finite element/finite difference time domain package (comsol multiphysics/SPECFEM) would be appreciated.
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.