- Research Field
- Natural sciences
- Funding Type
- Career Stage
- First Stage Researcher (R1) (Up to the point of PhD)
- European Research Programme
- Not funded by an EU programme
Job: Research technician
Reference: BIOPOLIS 2023-06
Main research field: Biological Sciences (Applied Ecology)
Type of contract: fixed-term work contract
1. One 6 month fixed-term contract, eventually renewable, to a research technician position (Reference BIOPOLIS
BIOPOLIS 2023-06) is available at CIBIO-InBIO, through Associação BIOPOLIS, to pursue scientific research activities in the project TROPIBIO NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-000046 in the scientific area of Applied Ecology.
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate to join the InBIO Barcoding Initiative (IBI). The candidate is expected to help with all steps related to IBI’s pipeline, from fieldwork for specimen collection, organization of samples, preparation of samples for DNA barcoding, database management, data analysis, and preparation of reports in the field of Applied Ecology, mostly related with DNA barcoding of invertebrate communities. CIBIO/InBIO fosters an international and multicultural research environment, currently hosting researchers from more than 17 countries, where the candidate should be well integrated. Working at CIBIO/InBIO provides an opportunity to apply skills to support activities on biology, biodiversity, ecology and evolution.
2. Applicable Legislation:Portuguese Labour Code, approved by Law 7/2009 of February 12, in its actual form.
3. The selection panelwill be formed by: Pedro Beja (Chair), Sónia Ferreira (Vowel), Vanessa Mata (Vowel), Luis P. da Silva (substitute).
4. The work will be primarily conducted at CIBIO-InBIO, UP – Centro de Investigação em Biodiversidade e Recursos Genéticos, Universidade do Porto, located at Campus de Vairão, Vila do Conde and may include fieldwork in african countries.
5. The gross monthly salary corresponds to Level 16 of the Consolidated Table of Allowances (TRU) 1320,15€ before taxes.
6. Application can be submitted by candidates of any nationality holding a MSc degree in Biological Sciences or related areas, with emphasis in Applied Ecology and Conservation.
The candidate will be integrated in InBIO’s Barcoding Initiative team and will help with all tasks related to its work. We are mostly looking for a highly motivated candidate with the will to learn and integrate a dynamic team working on different aspects of Applied Ecology. The candidate should have at least two of the following skills and competencies:
Experience in (i) field work (diurnal and/or nocturnal), (ii) arthropods sampling, (iii) collection of DNA samples for DNA barcoding and/or DNA metabarcoding analysis, (iv) DNA barcoding and/or DNA metabarcoding lab procedures, (v) management of databases. Other valuable skills will be (vi) fluency in English (spoken and written), (vii) fluency in French (spoken and written), (viii) fluency in Portuguese (spoken and written), (ix) driving license, (x) good teamwork and communication skills, and (xi) experience in submitting data to GBIF, writing reports and scientific publications. Furthermore, it is expected that the candidate possesses strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
Working plan: The work plan is included in the frame of several ongoing projects in Africa, including “Conserving biodiversity and enhancing food security: the role of birds and bats as suppressors of rice insect pests in West Africa” and “Study of arthropod communities in agroecosystems of São Tomé, with special focus on predator and pollinator functional groups” and “Environmental impact of invasive mammal species and associated risks of zoonosis” which investigates the ecological networks of agricultural landscapes, with a particular focus on the regulation of pest species by predators, thereby providing baseline information towards management plans and actions to reduce such impacts. The candidate will be involved in two main tasks: (i) field sampling for collection of arthropods for DNA barcoding reference collection; (ii) Sorting, coding and collection of tissue samples for DNA barcoding, followed by analysis and deposit of DNA barcodes in public databases. The successful candidate is expected to network with other researchers and to collaborate in writing technical reports and scientific publications.
In case the degree was awarded by a non-Portuguese higher education institution it must comply with the provisions of Decreto-Lei n.º 66/2018, de 16 de Agosto, and all formalities established therein must be complied with at the signature of work contract.
7. Candidates will be ranked based on:
- Quality of the academic curriculum (30%)
- Experience of the applicant relevant to the project and work plan (40%)
- Motivation for applying to this position (30%)
8. Candidate final classification shall be given based on a scale 0 to 100.
9. The jury will call the top 5 candidates to an interview (in person or by videoconference) to establish the final ranking (preliminary ranking 90%, interview 10%). The jury may not award the position if the profile of the candidates does not meet the requirements of the project.
10. Application formalization:
10.1 The applications are formalized at the electronic address http://www.cibio.pt. The following documents are
required in a digital form (PDF format):
i) Curriculum vitae;
ii) Motivation Letter (including a brief description of research experience and why you are suitable for the
iii) Qualifications Certificate;
iv) Other relevant documentation
10.2. The application period is from 25/01/2023 to 03/02/2023
Expect starting date 1st March 2023.
11. Results announcement: The ranking of applications will be published at a visible and public area of CIBIO
facilities, and all candidates will be informed by email about the result of their application. After notification, all
candidates have 10 working days to comment.
- Organisation name
- ASSOCIAÇÃO BIOPOLIS
- Organisation Country
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.