ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Luxembourg
RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/10/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Luxembourg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
The Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB) of the University of Luxembourg is a highly dynamic, multilingual and international working environment at campus Belval. The research group in interventional Neuroscience / Platform for Operative Neuroimaging offers a position for a:
Postdoctoral researcher on Project in Medical Image Analysis
- Ref.: RCREQ0004155
- Fixed-term contract for 6 months
- Full time position (40 h/week)
- Earliest start date: June / July 2020
- Option for full remote work during the pandemic situation
Area: Machine Learning based Covid-19 Diagnosis and Prediction from X-ray and/or CT
The gold standard for Covid-19 diagnosis is RT-PCR for SARS-CoV-2 from the upper airways. This method suffers from decreased accuracy in more severe disease stages affecting the lower airways. False negative PCR tests in severe cases impose a massive risk to the health system, promoting intra-hospital disease spread in the actual pandemic situation. Reports from China indicate false negative PCR from upper airway samples in severe Covid-19 pneumonia in more than 50% of the cases.
Therefore, complementary tests for the detection of these dangerous cases are urgently needed. The value of chest CT and/or X-ray has been demonstrated as complementary diagnostics. Luxembourg has already reacted to these needs, and is urgently acquiring four additional CT scanners only for lung CTs.
Based on our experience in deep learning for medical imaging our project aims to rapidly provide AI tools to speedup diagnosis and prediction of high-risk cases from medical imaging.
Our short-term objective is a an AI tool for fast and accurate discrimination between Covid-19, other pneumonia, or healthy. This information can be key for early treatment as well as for the safety of health workers, hospitals and other patients. A basic version of an AI tool is already in training and aims to be applied as soon as possible during the current pandemic. Additionally, long term research and preparation to future scenarios is planned and will be integrated with diagnostic approaches using other biomarkers for disease staging by aligning with other groups in Luxembourg.
- PhD in the context of data science
- Background in machine learning, in particular deep learning, and strong interest in interdisciplinary research
- Experience / or strong interest in medical image analysis
- Experience utilizing GPU enabled High-Performance Computing environments is an asset
- Experience with recent deep learning frameworks (Pytorch, Keras) programming languages (Python, Matlab) are considered to be an advantage
- Autonomous self-starter with very strong organizational and analytic skills
- excellent communication, team-working and interpersonal skills
- enthusiasm and great commitment to research
- excellent command of English language
We are looking for highly motivated candidates who share our passion for research, are interested in acquiring new skills and wish to be part of an international interdisciplinary team. At our group we follow a leadership concept of promoting independent work, encouraging that Postdoctoral researchers contribute with own ideas and concepts to shape the project and mentor PhD students.
Applications (in English) should contain the following documents:
- Cover letter
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- Copy of PhD diploma
- Name and addresses of referees
Please submit your applications online:
Contact for further information:
Andreas Husch, PhD
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
EURAXESS offer ID: 526233
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.