ORGANISATION NAMEResearch Foundation - Flanders (FWO)
RESEARCH FIELDFormal sciencesHumanitiesNatural sciencesSocial sciences
CAREER STAGEEstablished Researcher (R3) (Researchers who have developed a level of independence)Leading Researcher (R4) (Researchers leading their research area or field)
The Odysseus programme provides outstanding researchers who have built up a career outside Flanders, a start-up funding in order to develop during a five-year period a research group or to set up a research line within a Flemish university, potentially in collaboration with (an)other Flemish research organisation(s), and become progressively more involved in the Flemish research landscape.
What is funded
What makes this programme unique is the combination of a position at a Flemish university and sufficient project funding to establish their own research team. This symbiosis forms the ideal starting point to attract high level, international research to Flanders.
Odysseus Type I
- for researchers who are internationally recognised as pioneers in their field;
- research funding: from 400,000 euro to 1,000,000 euro per year (2,000,000 euro to 5,000,000 euro for the 5-year period);
- when awarded the host institution(s) will provide you with a permanent (ZAP) positition.
Odysseus Type II
- for postdoctoral researchers who have the potential to develop a leading international position;
- research funding: from 100,000 euro to 200,000 euro per year (500,000 euro to 1,000,000 euro for the 5-year period);
- when awarded the host institution(s) will provide you with a fulltime tenure track position.
Only the universities in the Flemish Community can, potentially in collaboration with (an)other Flemish research organisation(s), nominate candidates at the FWO.
As an eligible candidate (for Type I as well as for Type II):
- you shall not have (had) a main appointment at a Belgian university, research institute, organisation or company for more than one year preceding the FWO submission deadline.
- you shall have been affiliated with a foreign institution, with an appointment of minimum 80%, for at least three years in the past five years preceding the FWO submission deadline. During this period abroad, you shall have had an appointment of maximum 10% in Belgium.
- you are only allowed to submit one application per Odysseus call.
DEADLINE: 30th of September 2020 (5pm Local Time Brussels).
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.