ORGANISATION NAMEInstitute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDNatural sciences
CAREER STAGEFirst Stage Researcher (R1) (Up to the point of PhD)
1. MSc degree or during MSc studies in scientific disciplines such as: Physics, physical oceanography, geophysics, mathematics etc.
2. The candidate must have a current status of a PhD or MSc student.
3. Experience in programming and analyzing data using scientific programs, e.g. MATLAB, Python, R or similar.
4. Experience in analyzing large data volumes and visualization of the results using scientific programs.
5. Experience in developing and /or using numerical models would be an advantage.
6. Basic knowledge of fluid dynamics.
7. Previous participation in cruises and programming. experience is desirable, and the willingness and ability to learn and develop these skills.
8. Proficiency in English speaking and writing.
9. Candidates should be able to plan and organize their work independently.
Candidates will be employed in the NCN-funded SuFMIX project: Turbulent Mixing Processes in the Słupsk Furrow (the Southern Baltic Sea).
Turbulent mixing is the main factor responsible for the balance of heat, fresh water and nutrients in the oceans, and is therefore a key element affecting the Earth's climate. The project is oriented on the identification, description and analysis of the main mechanisms responsible for vertical transport and mixing in the region of the Słupsk Furrow located in the Polish Economic Zone in the southern Baltic. This region, connecting the western and eastern part of the Baltic Sea, is located on the main route of waters originating in the North Sea, which provide salt and oxygen to the deeper parts of the Baltic Sea. That is why the Słupsk Furrow is one of the most important regions affecting the circulation of the Baltic Sea and its ecosystem. The main goal of the project is to determine the importance of dynamic factors, such as internal waves, mesoscale eddies and surface waves, in the vertical mixing processes in the Słupsk Furrow.
The responsibilities of the PhD/MSc student will include:
• Participation in the research cruises onboard r/v Oceania to the Southern Baltic
• Assistance in the preparation of oceanographic equipment used in the SuFMIX project
• Analysis of data collected in situ during the project from acoustic current profilers (ADCP), temperature, salinity, oxygen, pressure sensors, wind speed and direction and satellite ocean color/temperature
• Configuration of the Baltic Sea numerical model and adaptation of its settings and parameterization to small-scale processes such as turbulent mixing, mesoscale eddies and internal waves.
• Comparison of model results with in situ measurements.
What is funded / Duration
Two scholarships in the amount of PLN 4,500 gross monthly planned for the duration of the project entitled "Turbulent Mixing Processes in the Słupsk Furrow (the Southern Baltic Sea) - SufMIX", ie for a maximum of
36 months each.
Required documents should be sent by 31th March 2020, via e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CV containing information of the required experience and scientific achievements of the candidate (including the list of publications) and awards resulting from conducting scientific research (scholarships, awards, scientific experience acquired outside the home scientific unit in the country or abroad, scientific workshops and trainings, participation in research projects);
- Cover letter
- Certificate confirming the status of MSc/PhD student
- a copy or scan of the Master's diploma (if applicable)
- Please include signed document with the following consent clause:
I hereby consent to have my personal data processed by the Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Science pursuant to Article 6 paragraph 1 letter a of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR),for the purpose of carrying out a recruitment process for the position of...................................
I also declare that I have read the information on the processing of personal data provided by the Institute in accordance with Article 13 GDPR (http://www.iopan.gda.pl/praca/INFORMATION_ON_THE_PROCESSING_OF_PERSONAL_...)
(place and date) (signature of the declarant)
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.