ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science › Global changeLanguage sciences › Linguistics
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/04/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral position in climate change discourse at the Department of Foreign Languages, by plan starting 1 August 2020 or as agreed. The position is for a fixed-term period of 3 years.
The Department of Foreign Languages spans nine different languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish Language and Latinamerican Studies. Teaching and research are conducted in the following disciplines: language/linguistics, literature, cultural studies and didactics (http://www.uib.no/en/fremmedsprak). The Department has around 60 permanent academic staff, 30 in postdoctoral and PhD positions and ten administrative staff.
About the project:
The position is part of the cross-disciplinary project “Living with climate change: motivation and action for lifestyle change” (CLIMLIFE), funded by the Norwegian Research Council. Living with climate change has become a crucial issue worldwide. While there is broad agreement on the urgency of the situation, people must also go on living their daily lives. How do people relate the political and existential challenges of climate change to their day-to-day life choices, what may be their motivations for change? The CLIMLIFE project addresses these questions about the role of climate in lifestyle issues, through a methodological cross-disciplinary approach, with a basis in language studies of data from Facebook and open-ended survey questions. The project puts a particular focus on the views of young people. We use tools for language analysis generated through linguistic polyphony (multivoicedness), topic analysis, framing and narrative theory, combining quantitative (semi-) automated and qualitative methods.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within the humanities or social sciences. The doctoral thesis must have been submitted for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of appointment that the PhD has been awarded.
- The applicant must provide a project proposal with a progress plan for the project’s main activities, and a plan for publishing results in recognized international channels. The project must address lifestyle issues in a climate change perspective.
- The successful candidate must be able to work independently in a well-structured way and have good cooperation skills.
- The applicant must document good knowledge of oral and written English and oral skills in Norwegian, or another Scandinavian language. Competence in French is also an advantage.
- Knowledge of combining qualitative and quantitative methods as well as knowledge of survey research will be an advantage.
In the assessment, the main emphasis will be attached to the submitted works and relevant experience, and to the quality of the research proposal and its relevance to the CLIMLIFE project.
In cases where ranked applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, strategic considerations, motivation and the applicant’s personal suitability will also weigh in.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
Postdoctoral fellowships are fixed term positions and the main goal of the positions is to qualify the successful candidate for academic top positions. The duration of the postdoctoral position is three years. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
The successful applicant shall prepare a plan for qualifying for top academic positions in cooperation with the Head of Department. The applicants must submit a proposal for this qualification plan together with the application. For postdoctoral research fellow positions associated with externally financed projects, the completion of this plan will take place in consultation with the project manager/supervisor.
It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
The postdoctoral position demands that the applicant has his or her regular workplace at the University of Bergen, and comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary in accordance with pay grade 60 (Code 1352/Pay range 24) in the state salary scale, currently NOK 531 900 gross p.a. following ordinary meriting regulations. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA) enterprise.
- Good welfare benefits.
Your application must include:
- Applications must be sent electronically via the link on this site: “APPLY FOR THIS JOB”, and should be written in English or a Scandinavian language. The applicant must use the electronic CV-form, and the application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be a supervisor for the PhD thesis
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, and diploma for the PhD or documentation showing that the thesis has been submitted for assessment
- A short summary of the PhD-thesis (up to 3 pages)
- Relevant certificates/references
- A summary of the proposed project (up to 5 pages/12.000 characters)
- Bibliography for the proposed project
- A progress plan for the proposed project, and a plan for publishing results in recognized international channels
- A proposal for the qualification plan
- A list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Up to five academic works (may include theses, monographs and articles) that are to be given special consideration in the assessment of your academic qualifications
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge. Attachments can be either in Word of pdf-format.
Further information about the position can be obtained by contacting Professor Kjersti Fløttum, e-mail email@example.com, who is leader of the CLIMLIFE project, or Head of the department, Åse Johnsen, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Questions or queries concerning the electronic application process can be directed to email@example.com.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
Application deadline: 26 April 2020
UiB reference no: 20/3476
About The University of Bergen (UiB)
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
EURAXESS offer ID: 508677
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.