ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentro Nacional de Investigación Sobre la Evolución Humana, CENIEH
RESEARCH FIELDAnthropology › Medical anthropologyAnthropology › OtherBiological sciences › BiologyMedical sciences › OtherTechnology › Computer technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/06/2020 12:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Burgos
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38,5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
REFERENCE NUMBEREuropean Training Network (ETN)
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER861389
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
We are recruiting candidates for one PhD position, starting September 1st 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter and for a duration of 36 months since the starting date. The fellowships are part of the European Training Network “PUSHH: Palaeoproteomics to Unleash Studies on Human History” www.pushh-etn.eu, funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 861389.
The successful applicant will be part of the Palaeobiology Programme at National Research Center on Human Evolution (CENIEH) at Burgos, Spain and the Comparative Genomics (CG) Group at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra. He/she will be also member of the Atapuerca project’s work team.
The CENIEH is a research centre belonging to the national network of Unique Scientific & Technical Infrastructures (ICTS). It is open to scientific and technological use by the international scientific and technological community. Its research activities are mainly on human evolution during the Late Neogene and Quaternary, and include collaborative projects at excavations and deposits of these periods worldwide. In addition, the CENIEH is responsible for the conservation, restoration, management and the recording of archaeological and paleontological collections, in particular from Atapuerca. The Palaeobiology programme represents an international point of reference in terms of scientific contributions regarding the evolutionary scenario of the Pleistocene European populations by analysing the original collections from Atapuerca and other localities worldwide, including the Pleistocene human samples from Asia.
The successful applicant will be part of the Comparative Genomics (CG) Group at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra. The CG Group is a major international player in the use of genomics to retrieve population characteristics of primates (https://www.nature.com/articles/nature12228; https://science.sciencemag.org/content/354/6311/477). We also characterized the palaeoproteomics of the extinct Gigantopithecus being able to reconstruct their phylogeny in comparison to other apes (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1728-8). In the last few years, the research activity pursued in the CG Group significantly contributed to the understanding of genomics in evolution and conservation and he is granted an ERC Consolidator Grant starting on 2020. The CG Group is located at the Evolutionary Biology Unit of the Pompeu Fabra University (http://www.upf.edu) and is part of the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (http://www.prbb.org), a renowned centre for Biomedical research that hosts, besides the University, other institutions such as the CRG (Centre for Genomic Regulation) or the EMBL Barcelona. All these organizations share a thrilling and dynamic scientific atmosphere, driven by leading groups in fields such as bioinformatics, molecular biology and evolution. The PRBB is located close to Barcelona’s City Centre.
Detailed information about this fellowship
MOLECULAR-BASED PHYLOGENY OF MAMMALS AND HOMININS FROM Sierra de Atapuerca (Burgos, Spain)- ESR5, Supervisor, María Martinón-Torres (CENIEH), co-Supervisor Tomas Marques-Bonet (UPF)
Principal supervisor is Prof. María Martinón-Torres, (CENIEH) email@example.com
Second supervisor is Full Professor Tomas Marques Bonet, UPF, firstname.lastname@example.org
Third supervisor is Dr. Elena Santos, Centro Mixto UCM-ISCIII de Evolución y Comportamiento Humanos, Madrid
For specific information about the PhD fellowship / project, please contact the principal and second supervisor.
Other important criteria for the assessment of applicants to this specific position are:
- Demonstrated knowledge on programming and/or basic evolutionary biology.
- Experience in processing and interpreting genomic data for phylogenetic inference and/or population genomics reconstructions.
- Ability to write, with a high level of independence, scientific manuscripts, reporting the original results generated, for publication on the most prestigious peer-reviewed journals,
- Ability to comfortably work, both independently and as a team member, in a highly interdisciplinary environment with colleagues with different scientific backgrounds.
Desirable criteria for the assessment of applicants to this specific position are:
- Advanced experience in implementing, and optimizing palaeoproteomics methods is a valued plus.
- Experience in human and/or mammalian population genomic inferences is a valued plus.
- Demonstrated experience in development and delivery of public outreach initiatives is a valued plus.
- Advanced computational skills for command line-based manipulation and statistical analysis of large genomic/proteomic datasets on large computational infrastructures is a valued plus.
The Selection Committee will examine the applications received to determine whether they comply with the specific requirements and documentation required, both detailed above, formalizing for this purpose a list of admitted and excluded candidates. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been admitted or not. The evaluation process consists of two phases; i) Evaluation of CV and ii) Personal Interview.
For further information about the process, evaluation criteria and phases, please visit our website:
The application must be submitted electronically by clicking ‘Apply now’ in our website. The application must include the following documents in PDF format:
- Motivated letter of application (max. one page).
- CV incl. education, experience, language skills and other skills relevant for the position.
- Master of Science diploma and transcript of records. If not completed, a certified/signed copy of a recent transcript of records or a written statement from the institution or supervisor will do.
- Publication list (if possible).
For purposes of the evaluation process, only the information included in the curriculum vitae or in the others documents on the closing date of the deadline for submitting applications will be taken into account.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalentComputer science: Master Degree or equivalent
Applicants must have qualifications corresponding to a master’s degree related to the subject area of the project e.g. molecular biology, evolutionary biology, computer science or similar discipline.
To be eligible for a PhD position in PUSHH on 1st September 2020 you must:
- Have not resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months since 1st August 2017. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account.
- Be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of your research career, and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when you obtained the first degree entitling you to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited), even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at Centro Nacional de Investigación Sobre la Evolución Humana, CENIEH
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 524364
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.